Thursday, March 12, 2009

Midsummer Night’s Dream




I could hear the murmurs from the other side of the door. The shadows gradually sneaked into the room. I tried my best to avert my attention from the engulfing dark shadow and turned off the lamp hoping to fade away the stretching silhouette. The rhythmic spattering of the rain drops on the asbestos knocked on my senses with equal intervals. The thought of spending the remaining six hours alone in my room haunted me. For once, time haunted me! The beautiful white curtains which had its moments of admiration and praise have now turned its ugly face on me. Familiarity breeds contempt but that very night it catalyzed the willies. My little room out of no where started showing ominous signs of hostility. My pupil dilated as I tried to discern the aberration in the normalcy of my room. I slowly slid into my slippers and ambled across my study table and edged close to the windowpane.
I couldn’t digest the fact that my yellow bordered little window that portrayed the finest of morning hours that embraced the golden rays with balanced dignity is now pretending to be a host for several hundred raging, blood thirsty demons. I turned around at a pace that would have made the wachowski brothers proud. I looked at the wall clock, a sigh of relief as the clock ticked past four. A sudden gust of wind pushed me back and it howled out in the trees. I threw myself onto the cot, rolled under the blanket and slid my face amidst the pillows. I began to chant all my forgotten prayers; I started cursing myself for opting not to accompany my parents and for resorting to stay all alone. Little did I move, I could feel the pulse motoring up, the bedspread wrinkled into a spider’s web in no time. The illusion of someone breathing down my neck loomed large. Phat, Phat, two familiar heavy blows on my back. I was on the verge of letting the world know how loud I could yell. I did the superman thing, stood up all of a sudden holding onto my blanket and starred at a figure that has co-existed with me for 21 years. The darkness has evaded and everything looked the way it used to be. Time to School, blurted the silhouette standing in front of me. Gosh! Chimera was better than reality.

No comments: